Waste reduction and sustainability are becoming increasingly important issues for communities across the country. Backyard composting programs have proven to be an effective solution that offer a range of benefits, from cost savings to environmental education opportunities.
When organic waste ends up in landfills, it lacks the oxygen necessary for decomposition, leading to the production of methane gas—a potent greenhouse gas that must be collected and treated at the landfill. Common methods to treat landfill gas include combustion and non-combustion technologies, as well as odor control systems. From a sustainability perspective, backyard composting programs offer municipalities a unique opportunity to advance “Triple Bottom Line” goals and objectives:
- Economic – Backyard composting programs help municipalities save money on garbage removal costs by diverting organic waste from landfills. This waste, such as food scraps and yard trimmings, accounts for around 25 percent of the waste that goes into landfills. With landfill tipping fees and collection costs increasing every year, backyard composting programs are an attractive strategy to offset rising collection and disposal costs, while also providing landfill operators an opportunity to preserve valuable airspace.
- Environmental – According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), an analysis using EPA’s Waste Reduction Model (WARM) indicates that diverting just 25 percent of the food waste currently sent to U.S. landfills would reduce life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions by about 30 percent.
- Social – Composting promotes environmental education and sustainability in communities. Residents can learn about the benefits of composting and the importance of reducing landfill waste, inspiring them to take further actions to reduce their carbon footprint. This can lead to a more sustainable and environmentally conscious community.
The GEOBIN® Composter: Improving Access to Backyard Composting Programs, One Community at a Time
The GEOBIN Composter is a popular choice for municipalities seeking a low-cost and user-friendly option. The GEOBIN Composter is customizable in size and diameter, making it suitable for any yard size and accessible to all residents. It takes less than five minutes to set up, and its open-air design provides the necessary oxygen for decomposition. The GEOBIN Composter can handle a variety of materials, including food scraps, yard waste, and paper products.
Why GEOBIN Composters are the perfect fit for your community:
- Made in the USA
- Small Storage Footprint
- Large Capacity (246 Gallon)
- Customizable & Adjustable Size
- Set Up & Use in Minutes
- Lowest Cost on the Market
- Three Color Options Available (Black, Green, Tan)
How to Start a Municipal Composting Program
Starting a municipal composting program using the GEOBIN Composter can help communities save money and reduce landfill waste. By providing residents with a simple and affordable solution for managing their organic waste, communities can divert a significant amount of waste from landfills, reducing tipping fees and hauling costs.
Moreover, the GEOBIN Composter is designed to be durable and long-lasting, which means it can be reused for many years, making it a cost-effective investment for municipalities. Its sturdy design ensures that it can withstand harsh weather conditions and heavy use.
Get started today by requesting a free GEOBIN Composter to kick start discussions on the benefits of a municipal composting program in your community. Our product managers will work with you on bulk pricing orders and/or setting up discounts for your residents.